Plants at Work Crossword Puzzle
Teacher-led Classroom Activity
Life Science, Reading, Reasoning
How do plants and birds depend on each other? What is photosynthesis?
Students use what they’ve learned in the “Plants Are for the Birds” student magazine and online to complete a crossword puzzle about the role of native plants in an ecosystem.
Students will need:
- “Plants at Work” reproducible activity sheet (one for each student)
What to do:
- Have a class discussion to review what students have learned about the relationship between birds and plants in their “Plants Are for the Birds” magazine. Also review the process of photosynthesis explained and illustrated here: http://audubonadventures.org/
- Distribute copies of the “Plants at Work” crossword puzzle” reproducible.
- Ask students to complete the crossword puzzle, either in class or as homework. Explain that some of the information they’ll need is online at http://audubonadventures.org/plants_birds_kids.htm and some is found in the Audubon Adventures “Plants Are for the Birds” student magazine.
- When students have completed the crossword puzzle, review the answers with the whole class or in small groups.
Crossword puzzle answer key:
Secret Message Bonus: Native birds need native plants!
Photo: Sean Graesser; Nick Shearman.